Sunday, 23 June 2013

Day 2


After an early wake up call at 5:30am, breakfast was served at 6:00am and we were on the road again by 7:00am after being picked up by Nao and the bus drivers. After an hours drive we arrived back at Bangkok Airport ready for our flight to Luang Prabang. We began reading through the activities guide provided by Buffalo Tours (the Laos tour company). We separated the different activities that were to be conducted with the Lao locals into teams according to individual preference and our university degree areas in relation to the requirements of each task. I chose to be a part of the team to conduct a ‘Seasonal Calendar’, which basically involves examining the economic factors of the region (i.e. household income patterns, food availability, etc.). I chose this and found it perfectly suited me as my degree major is economics.

On our arrival we were greeted by Graham Harper (Manager of Buffalo Tours), Chipseng and Khankeo (our Laos tour guides). They took us back to our hotel soon before Khankeo took us on a tour of central Luang Prabang and the Nam Khan River. Khankeo took us to the famous temples where the monks reside and gave us a detailed explanation of the history of Laos and the four hundred and fifty year old temple that we were standing in.

Being the second day that we have been together as a group, I have noticed that relationships are beginning to form and we are all becoming closer to one another. I am trying to get around and talk to the other students that I am not familiar with, particularly the Nathan campus students. I feel that these bonds that are being formed will be utilised later on our journey beginning tomorrow when we venture into the villages of Sop Jak.

No comments:

Post a Comment